Well, that’s that taken care of…….

Filed under: @ 10:29 pm

For those of you to whom the phone tree did not extend (and my apologies for the delay in contact to those whom I did reach), Andrew had his back surgery today and is back at home resting comfortably. In medical speak this means that he’s currently stoned out of his gourd on Percoset, but recovering normally nonetheless.

It’s been an eventful week. I started coming down with some sort of upper respiratory crud on Monday morning, by Tuesday afternoon I was dizzy and nauseated and by Tuesday evening I was in our local ER being pumped full of lactated Ringer’s solution, Compazine, and Toradol. I most decidedly did NOT go to work on Wednesday.

This morning we got up at 0630, left the house at 0715 and didn’t get to Kirkland until 0830 (*&^%$#*&!!!!! interstate 405!).
Andrew hit the decks in the surgical prep ward at about 0945 but since they were very space constrained I didn’t get to go with him so I sat, fumed, and cast what is turning out to be a remarkably ugly cat blanket on to my circular knitting needles. When they finally let me go and sit with him we were both in a tizzy, him a little more so because he was freezing to death and his blood glucose was low.
When they took him to surgery a little before 1100 the surgeon told me they’d take 3-4 hours. And so I sat. And knit, and listened to books on tape, and the Brandenburg Concertos, and suffered probably nearly fatal daytime TV toxicity.

When the surgeon finally reappeared at 1530 to give me a progress report he told me that Andrew was in recovery and I’d be able to see him in about an hour.
At 1700 I went to bug the candystriper at the volunteer desk. She called the recovery room and relayed to me that Andrew was taking a little longer to recover from the anesthetic than was expected and it’d be at least another half an hour. They’d call me or someone would come and get me.
Do you know how fast I can knit when I’m properly stimulated? Pretty dang fast.

So I watched the local news and then the NBC nightly news and then I went to bug the candystriper again. At least another 15-20 minutes came the reply.

Couldn’t concentrate on my book, couldn’t stomach anymore television, really tired of knitting. AHA! Finally someone in surgical blues coming out to talk to me.
The recovery nurse told me that Andrew was doing well but was dizzy and somewhat nauseated. They were going to have to give him at least another half an hour to rest before they’d get him up, why didn’t I go and pick up his pain meds?
Load up the bag with my books and my knitting, my purse, and the bag that Andrew insisted on bringing with him that contained his Dell laptop, his new data enabled cell phone and God knows what all else, and traipse halfway across the building. How much time did it take me? 10 freakin’ minutes.
Double bugger.

Got back, sat down, and was knitting with a vengance again (it really is a remarkably ugly cat blanket, but Scrum loves the texture of knitted things) when the surgical nurse came back to tell me they’d finally managed to get Andrew up and walking.
So nearly 8 hours later I finally got to rejoin my husband and I sat and knit some more while he came around completely.

Remarkably the trip home was uneventful. There wasn’t any traffic, I managed to drive Andrew’s car for an entire day and remember that it’s an automatic so I don’t have to stomp on the clutch, and Andrew managed to get himself up the stairs without tripping over the cat.
So the next 3 days are going to be pretty laid back chez us. I’m going to cook up a storm so that we have plenty of dinners in the freezer that Andrew doesn’t have to cook. I’m also going to sleep in, drink ginger tea and (ergh) Gatorade and hope that my nose stops running. Andrew is going to rest, take his pain pills, drink plenty of water, and rest in that order. Neither of us is going to think much, neither of us is going to exert much, and we may or may not answer the phone depending on how troll-ish we’re feeling (sorry Joe, no brain picking about security cameras this weekend). If we get to feeling really intellectual we may watch some more of Season 2 of The Muppet Show.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and for the offers of help. Just don’t be surprised if you don’t hear much from us over the weekend.

9 Responses to “Well, that’s that taken care of…….”

  1. Dylan Says:

    Here’s to a quick recovery to Roo and you.

    -Dylan (and Naara and Kaila and Griffin)

  2. Valerie Says:

    Oh man, you are having quite the week. I hope you both get better quickly.

  3. Joe Says:

    My apologies,

    I misread Andrew’s previous post and thought he was having the surgery next week. My apologies for adding to the stress of your week and Andrew’s recovery. I hope you both experience an easy and quick recovery.


  4. Curt Says:

    Well there goes our chance at the King County gymnastics finals.
    I think sometimes one needs to think of the โ€œMโ€ in TEAM.
    Hmmmmโ€ฆperhaps Rick Moranis or Jonathan Frakes would be available to sub.

    Hoping y’all are up and tumbling soon.
    Cheers ๐Ÿ˜€

  5. david Says:

    hi guys glad to hear you made it through ok andrew get lots of rest see you in december ๐Ÿ™‚

  6. michael Haring Says:

    While your on your back ‘drew listen to the Rainbow football game …. http://www.espn1420am.com/ GO BOWS! :mrgreen:

  7. Dalek Says:

    Good thing I didn’t decide to drop in on you this weekend after taking the parents to the airport. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Here’s wishing both of you a speedy and comfortable recovery. If you need anything, give me a call; you know how to reach me. :mrgreen:

  8. michael Haring Says:

    ๐Ÿ˜ฏ I hope you didn’t listen or watch the bows game ‘Drew (37-30 victory..pretty sure you didn’t anyway). Brennan had a helmet to helmet hit and was knocked out cold on his back for several minutes late in the 3rd Q.

  9. Uncle Andrew Says:

    Hey All,

    Thanks for all your well wishes. I am finally together enough to come check out my own blog, and looka allthe virtual get well cards! You guys are the best. ๐Ÿ™‚

    Joe: no worries, Man, I’ll catch you on the flip side. Heh heh….”flip”….disc problems….get it?

    Mike: terribly sorry, but I somehow managed to miss the ‘Bows game, possibly because I was still recovering from my anesthesia, still more possibly because I care less for football than I do for….well, having holes drilled in my back, to be honest. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    Thanks again, everybody; I’ll drop a real post here sometime soon.


Leave a Reply

All comments containing hyperlinks are held for approval, so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up immediately. (I'm not editing for content, just weeding out the more obvious comment spam.)

All portions of this site are © Andrew Lenzer, all rights reserved, unless otherwise noted.